your questions about our Workshops:
Does hosting a workshop reduce the cost of my build?
Your total cost will depend entirely upon your specific design, the number of participants attending the workshop, the number of crew leading the build, and the skill / enthusiasm level of participants. Because the cost of hosting and organizing the workshop is a moving target, including a workshop in your build doesn't mean you are eligible for a discounted rate. That said, a workshop usually speeds up the build a little bit because our experienced crew guides the participants to direct their skills and enthusiasm toward building in the most efficient way. We love hosting workshops because they allow all participants to gain valuable life skills, like working with power tools and other carpentry basics, while making lifelong friends in a pop-up community environment. If you decide to pursue including a workshop in your build, we will require at least a month of preparation to ensure a high level of production with efficient workflow. Another cool thing about a workshop is that they allow the client (ie: you!) to work on your own tiny home.
Can you run the workshop on our land or does it have to be at your workshop?
Yes, building workshops can take place on your land provided you have enough space and appropriate facilities to host a number of people. After the workshop, you'll still have the building on your land which means you can easily continue the construction from whatever stage we get to during the workshop. We can also host build workshops at my workshop in Vancouver and, depending upon your needs, continue to build the tiny house after the workshop is over.
At the end of a two week workshop, we would reasonably expect that the tiny house is enclosed (weather tight), and that the electrical, plumbing and mechanical systems are roughed-in. Sometimes, when the weather is on our side and we've got a really efficient and enthusiastic group, we complete the framing of the lofts, install insulation and vapour barrier, and have begun the interior walls. Our 14 foot box trailer full of tools is available for use during workshops in Canada and it will be brought to your land before the build. Because of licensing and registration, the box trailer cannot be brought to workshops in the USA so alternate arrangements would need to be made around sourcing tools and supplies.
How can we have our tiny home built during a workshop?
Send us an email with details of what you have in mind (sketches/plans/photos), where you would like to build, your timeline and your budget. We'll begin our conversation from there.
What is the cost of a workshop and what does it include?
The cost of a one or two week workshop varies between $10k and $15k. Either way, we still have our crew there for a minimum of three full weeks. Our workshop includes:
- Organizing the workshop, including promotion and registration, staffing (cook/build crew), staging the build site, and food for participants (dependent upon situation).
- On-site facilitation and management over a three week period.
- If you require help with design, ordering materials, and preparing construction drawings, these services are available at an additional cost (see below).
your questions about our Designs and plans:
Do you sell the building plans for your tiny houses?
Yes. That part of this website is being built right now. Please click here or email email@example.com to enquire about the tiny house you're interested in. Soon we'll make available our construction plan-sets for Rochette, Joy, Jawa, Poplar and Peggy.
Does Tiny Healthy Homes design custom tiny houses?
Yes. We love working with you to design custom tiny houses or to modify existing plans. Sometimes our clients are looking for adjustments to the design aesthetic of their existing plans, like changes to siding and interior walls/ceiling or the kitchen layout. In other cases, clients are looking to change their existing plans to accommodate various sensitivities to building materials, environmental allergies or other health conditions.
Do you sell tiny house trailers ?
Yes. We are a distributor for Top Notch trailers in Washington, USA which means we can import a trailer on your behalf. Check out their products here http://topnotchtrailers.com/ and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to submit your custom order.
What does the design and build process look like for a custom tiny house?
- Register for updates and we will send you our 'Tiny House - Getting Started Guide'. The guide aims to answer your questions, organize your thoughts and give you a great starting point to create a 'vision folder' with pictures of all the tiny house interior and exterior features that you LOVE!
- Build your floor plan. Click here to purchase our awesome new floor plan builder. It's fun, easy to work with, and brings you closer to getting some plans drawn up. Have fun with it, play with it and imagine yourself in your own custom tiny house
$500: We produce 3-D design renders of your dream tiny house, based upon what you've put together during Stage 1 and a phone/Skype call. The 3-D render allows you to get a real sense of what your tiny home will look like.
$2000 (approximate): We produce a full construction plan-set, materials list and quote to build. The cost of this stage will increase depending upon the complexity of your build. Have a look at some examples of our plan pages here
STAGE 4 - Let's build you a dream home! We aim to complete builds in three months but the delivery time and total cost will depend entirely upon the complexity of your build and our production schedule at the time of your build. To learn about including a workshop component in your build, visit the Workshops page.
What is your payment schedule for construction ?
- $10,000 - deposit to secure a place in the construction schedule, order your trailer, windows and doors (which all have long lead times).
- 40% - one week prior to our build date.
- 20% - once exterior framing, siding and windows are complete (ie: 'lock-up' stage).
- 20% - at substantial completion
- Balance - at completion and before delivery.
Can my tiny house be an off-grid tiny house?
Yes. Living off-grid will mean different things depending on your location. Installing solar panels or pre-wiring for future solar is no problem. We can help you customize your tiny house and combine water catchment systems, wind turbines, a wood stove, solar tubes, propane and other products/systems to meet the needs of your unique situation.
What size tiny houses can you build?
Tiny houses are generally built within the legal road size restrictions of 8’6” wide x 13’6” high though lengths can vary depending upon your needs. If you would like a larger tiny home, we are happy to talk about what you have in mind. Once tiny houses extend beyond the road size restrictions though, the tiny house would be registered as a Park Model RV (Z241) or a Manufactured or Modular Building (A277). Contact us to chat about options.
Which non-toxic building materials should I use?
The best resource is the RED List, produced by the International Living Future Institute. The RED List is accessed from https://living-future.org/declare/declare-about/red-list/
Questions about our design philosophy and my go-to products? --- Click here for Design
your general questions about tiny houses:
Can I insure my tiny house?
Yes. Talk with your local insurance specialist for site-specific requirements and regarding insurance for the road.
How much do your tiny houses cost?
Basic prices start at $60,000 (CAD). We are a registered Tiny House Builder and are happy to work with you to understand your requirement and budget with a view to agreeing upon a fair price.
Do you offer financing?
Yes. We work with two financing companies (Canada and the USA) so please be in touch with us to discuss. To be eligible for financing a tiny house, it must comply with the following standards: Canadian Standards Association (CSA) certified. CSA Z-240 RV (NFPA1192) or CSA Z-241 Park Model (ANSI119.5) approved. We work with certified inspection agencies to meet these standards and ensure the highest quality standards a met.
Can you build and deliver to the USA?
Yes. There is a $920 (CAD) border documentation fee for import of the tiny house through Customs by a professional broker. If you prefer to pick up your tiny home in Canada and import it the the USA yourself, this fee does not apply.
How much is delivery?
As a standard, the delivery cost will be around $3/mile CAD from Vancouver, Canada. The per mile cost is reduced for delivery distances over 300 miles. There is a minimum fee of $400 plus tolls, ferries and other possible associated charges.
Is there any duty to be paid on the tiny house?
No, however there may be a small amount of sales tax to be paid on the value of the trailer when/if you go to insure the tiny home for the road. This is done with your local road insurance company and the amount of tax due is based on those imposed by your state.
Are you RV Certified?
Tiny Healthy Homes can certify your tiny house to Canadian Standards Association (CSA) certified (which can also provide similar US RV manufacturer stickers). This means that you are assured a quality-controlled home that has passed meticulous inspections by our certifying agency.
Canada: CSA Z240 RV , CSA Z241 Park Model, CSA A277 Modular building
United States: NFPA1192 , ANSIA119
What services will I need on site before my tiny house is delivered?
- Potable Water – a standard RV or garden hose (in cold areas it should be buried or a thermostat controlled heat trace installed for winter). We have also installed water catchment systems from the roof into a tank, then pumped to a filter before servicing the tiny house. Every location and client is different.
- Electrical – depends on the appliances you require but our standard is a 50 amp RV plug, which can be wired into the main electrical system onsite or downgraded to 15 amp easily.
- If propane appliances are being used, we generally install tanks on the trailer tongue just like an RV.
- Grey water generally exits the tiny house below the shower or tub with a 2” ABS plumbing pipe. We can install RV outlets if the home is to be more mobile.
- Black water – most of our clients choose the Separet composting toilet, so no black water system is required. If you would like a regular toilet, we can easily install a 3” ABS or RV hook-up.
If you have any other questions please email Ben at - email@example.com